Definition of 'devil'
- (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell
Synonyms: Satan Old Nick Lucifer Beelzebub the Tempter Prince of Darkness
- one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian belief
Synonyms: fiend demon daemon daimon
- a word used in exclamations of confusion; "what the devil"; "the deuce with it"; "the dickens you say"
Synonyms: deuce dickens
- a rowdy or mischievous person (usually a young man); "he chased the young hellions out of his yard"
Synonyms: hellion heller
- a cruel wicked and inhuman person
Synonyms: monster fiend demon ogre
- cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
Synonyms: annoy rag get to bother get at irritate rile nark nettle gravel vex chafe
- coat or stuff with a spicy paste; "devilled eggs"