Definition of 'distance'
- the property created by the space between two objects or points
- a distant region; "I could see it in the distance"
- size of the gap between two places; "the distance from New York to Chicago"; "he determined the length of the shortest line segment joining the two points"
- indifference by personal withdrawal; "emotional distance"
- the interval between two times; "the distance from birth to death"; "it all happened in the space of 10 minutes"
- a remote point in time; "if that happens it will be at some distance in the future"; "at a distance of ten years he had forgotten many of the details"
- keep at a distance; "we have to distance ourselves from these events in order to continue living"
- go far ahead of; "He outdistanced the other runners"
Synonyms: outdistance outstrip