Definition of 'douse'
- put out, as of a candle or a light; "Douse the lights"
Synonyms: put out
- wet thoroughly
- dip into a liquid; "He dipped into the pool"
Synonyms: dip duck
- immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate; "dip the garment into the cleaning solution"; "dip the brush into the paint"
Synonyms: dunk dip souse plunge
- lower quickly; "douse a sail"
- slacken; "douse a rope"
- cover with liquid; pour liquid onto; "souse water on his hot face"
Synonyms: drench dowse soak sop souse