Definition of 'endure'
- put up with something or somebody unpleasant; "I cannot bear his constant criticism"; "The new secretary had to endure a lot of unprofessional remarks"; "he learned to tolerate the heat"; "She stuck out two years in a miserable marriage"
Synonyms: digest stick out stomach bear stand tolerate support brook abide suffer put up
- face or endure with courage; "She braved the elements"
Synonyms: weather brave brave out
- continue to live; endure or last; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
Synonyms: survive last live live on go hold up hold out
- undergo or be subjected to; "He suffered the penalty"; "Many saints suffered martyrdom"
- last and be usable; "This dress wore well for almost ten years"
Synonyms: wear hold out
- persist for a specified period of time; "The bad weather lasted for three days"
- continue to exist; "These stories die hard"; "The legend of Elvis endures"
Synonyms: prevail persist die hard run