Definition of 'engage'
- carry out or participate in an activity; be involved in; "She pursued many activities"; "They engaged in a discussion"
Synonyms: prosecute pursue
- engage or engross wholly; "Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely"
Synonyms: absorb engross occupy
- engage or hire for work; "They hired two new secretaries in the department"; "How many people has she employed?"
Synonyms: hire employ
Antonyms: fire give notice can dismiss give the axe send away sack force out give the sack terminate
- ask to represent; of legal counsel; "I'm retaining a lawyer"
- give to in marriage
Synonyms: betroth affiance plight
- get caught; "make sure the gear is engaged"
- carry on (wars, battles, or campaigns); "Napoleon and Hitler waged war against all of Europe"
- hire for work or assistance; "engage aid, help, services, or support"
- engage for service under a term of contract; "We took an apartment on a quiet street"; "Let's rent a car"; "Shall we take a guide in Rome?"
Synonyms: lease rent hire charter take
- keep engaged; "engaged the gears"
Synonyms: mesh lock operate
Antonyms: disengage withdraw