Definition of 'establish'
- set up or found; "She set up a literacy program"
Synonyms: set up found launch
Antonyms: abolish get rid of
- set up or lay the groundwork for; "establish a new department"
Synonyms: found plant constitute institute
- establish the validity of something, as by an example, explanation or experiment; "The experiment demonstrated the instability of the compound"; "The mathematician showed the validity of the conjecture"
Synonyms: prove demonstrate show shew
Antonyms: disprove confute
- institute, enact, or establish; "make laws"
Synonyms: lay down make
- bring about; "The trompe l'oeil-illusion establishes depth"
- place; "Her manager had set her up at the Ritz"
Synonyms: install instal set up
- use as a basis for; found on; "base a claim on some observation"
Synonyms: base ground found
- build or establish something abstract; "build a reputation"