Definition of 'evidence'
- your basis for belief or disbelief; knowledge on which to base belief; "the evidence that smoking causes lung cancer is very compelling"
- an indication that makes something evident; "his trembling was evidence of his fear"
- (law) all the means by which any alleged matter of fact whose truth is investigated at judicial trial is established or disproved
- provide evidence for; stand as proof of; show by one's behavior, attitude, or external attributes; "His high fever attested to his illness"; "The buildings in Rome manifest a high level of architectural sophistication"; "This decision demonstrates his sense of fairness"
Synonyms: attest certify manifest demonstrate
- provide evidence for; "The blood test showed that he was the father"; "Her behavior testified to her incompetence"
Synonyms: testify bear witness prove show
- give evidence; "he was telling on all his former colleague"