Definition of 'exercise'
- the activity of exerting your muscles in various ways to keep fit; "the doctor recommended regular exercise"; "he did some exercising"; "the physical exertion required by his work kept him fit"
Synonyms: exercising physical exercise physical exertion workout
- the act of using; "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"
Synonyms: use usage utilization utilisation employment
- systematic training by multiple repetitions; "practice makes perfect"
Synonyms: practice drill practice session recitation
- a task performed or problem solved in order to develop skill or understanding; "you must work the examples at the end of each chapter in the textbook"
- (usually plural) a ceremony that involves processions and speeches; "academic exercises"
- put to use; "exert one's power or influence"
- carry out or practice; as of jobs and professions; "practice law"
Synonyms: practice practise do
- give a workout to; "Some parents exercise their infants"; "My personal trainer works me hard"; "work one's muscles"
Synonyms: work work out
- do physical exercise; "She works out in the gym every day"
Synonyms: work out
- learn by repetition; "We drilled French verbs every day"; "Pianists practice scales"
Synonyms: drill practice practise