Definition of 'father'
- a male parent (also used as a term of address to your father); "his father was born in Atlanta"
Synonyms: male parent begetter
Antonyms: mother female parent mother female parent
- the founder of a family; "keep the faith of our forefathers"
Synonyms: forefather sire
- `Father' is a term of address for priests in some churches (especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Orthodox Catholic Church); `Padre' is frequently used in the military
- (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Latin Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
Synonyms: Church Father Father of the Church
- a person who holds an important or distinguished position in some organization; "the tennis fathers ruled in her favor"; "the city fathers endorsed the proposal"
- God when considered as the first person in the Trinity; "hear our prayers, Heavenly Father"
Synonyms: Father-God Fatherhood
- a person who founds or establishes some institution; "George Washington is the father of his country"
Synonyms: founder beginner founding father
- the head of an organized crime family
- make children; "Abraham begot Isaac"; "Men often father children but don't recognize them"
Synonyms: beget get engender mother sire generate bring forth