Definition of 'feed'
See also: fee
- food for domestic livestock
- provide as food; "Feed the guests the nuts"
- give food to; "Feed the starving children in India"; "don't give the child this tough meat"
Antonyms: starve famish
- feed into; supply; "Her success feeds her vanity"
- introduce continuously; "feed carrots into a food processor"
Synonyms: feed in
- support or promote; "His admiration fed her vanity"
- take in food; used of animals only; "This dog doesn't eat certain kinds of meat"; "What do whales eat?"
- serve as food for; be the food for; "This dish feeds six"
- move along, of liquids; "Water flowed into the cave"; "the Missouri feeds into the Mississippi"
Synonyms: run flow course
- profit from in an exploitatory manner; "He feeds on her insecurity"
- gratify; "feed one's eyes on a gorgeous view"
- provide with fertilizers or add nutrients to; "We should fertilize soil if we want to grow healthy plants"
Synonyms: fertilize fertilise