Definition of 'find'
- a productive insight
Synonyms: discovery breakthrough
- the act of discovering something
Synonyms: discovery uncovering
- come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
Synonyms: happen chance bump encounter
- discover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of; "She detected high levels of lead in her drinking water"; "We found traces of lead in the paint"
Synonyms: detect observe discover notice
- come upon after searching; find the location of something that was missed or lost; "Did you find your glasses?"; "I cannot find my gloves!"
- establish after a calculation, investigation, experiment, survey, or study; "find the product of two numbers"; "The physicist who found the elusive particle won the Nobel Prize"
Synonyms: determine find out ascertain
- come to believe on the basis of emotion, intuitions, or indefinite grounds; "I feel that he doesn't like me"; "I find him to be obnoxious"; "I found the movie rather entertaining"
- perceive or be contemporaneous with; "We found Republicans winning the offices"; "You'll see a lot of cheating in this school"; "The 1960's saw the rebellion of the younger generation against established traditions"; "I want to see results"
Synonyms: witness see
- get something or somebody for a specific purpose; "I found this gadget that will serve as a bottle opener"; "I got hold of these tools to fix our plumbing"; "The chairman got hold of a secretary on Friday night to type the urgent letter"
Synonyms: line up get hold come up
- make a discovery, make a new finding; "Roentgen discovered X-rays"; "Physicists believe they found a new elementary particle"
- make a discovery; "She found that he had lied to her"; "The story is false, so far as I can discover"
- obtain through effort or management; "She found the time and energy to take care of her aging parents"; "We found the money to send our sons to college"
- decide on and make a declaration about; "find someone guilty"
- receive a specified treatment (abstract); "These aspects of civilization do not find expression or receive an interpretation"; "His movie received a good review"; "I got nothing but trouble for my good intentions"
Synonyms: receive get obtain incur
- perceive oneself to be in a certain condition or place; "I found myself in a difficult situation"; "When he woke up, he found himself in a hospital room"
- get or find back; recover the use of; "She regained control of herself"; "She found her voice and replied quickly"
Synonyms: recover retrieve regain
- succeed in reaching; arrive at; "The arrow found its mark"
- accept and make use of one's personality, abilities, and situation; "My son went to Berkeley to find himself"
Synonyms: find oneself