Definition of 'fit'
- a display of bad temper; "he had a fit"; "she threw a tantrum"; "he made a scene"
Synonyms: tantrum scene conniption
- a sudden uncontrollable attack; "a paroxysm of giggling"; "a fit of coughing"; "convulsions of laughter"
Synonyms: paroxysm convulsion
- the manner in which something fits; "I admired the fit of her coat"
- a sudden flurry of activity (often for no obvious reason); "a burst of applause"; "a fit of housecleaning"
- be agreeable or acceptable to; "This suits my needs"
Synonyms: suit accommodate
- be the right size or shape; fit correctly or as desired; "This piece won't fit into the puzzle"
- satisfy a condition or restriction; "Does this paper meet the requirements for the degree?"
Synonyms: meet conform to
- make fit; "fit a dress"; "He fitted other pieces of paper to his cut-out"
- insert or adjust several objects or people; "Can you fit the toy into the box?"; "This man can't fit himself into our work environment"
- be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics; "The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
Synonyms: match correspond check jibe gibe tally agree
Antonyms: disagree disaccord discord
- conform to some shape or size; "How does this shirt fit?"
- provide with (something) usually for a specific purpose; "The expedition was equipped with proper clothing, food, and other necessities"
Synonyms: equip fit out outfit
- make correspond or harmonize; "Match my sweater"
- meeting adequate standards for a purpose; "a fit subject for discussion"; "it is fit and proper that you be there"; "water fit to drink"; "fit for duty"; "do as you see fit to"
- (usually followed by `to' or `for') on the point of or strongly disposed; "in no fit state to continue"; "fit to drop"; "laughing fit to burst"; "she was fit to scream"; "primed for a fight"; "we are set to go at any time"
Synonyms: primed set
- physically and mentally sound or healthy; "felt relaxed and fit after their holiday"; "keeps fit with diet and exercise"