Definition of 'focus'
- the concentration of attention or energy on something; "the focus of activity shifted to molecular biology"; "he had no direction in his life"
Synonyms: focusing focussing focal point direction centering
- maximum clarity or distinctness of an image rendered by an optical system; "in focus"; "out of focus"
- maximum clarity or distinctness of an idea; "the controversy brought clearly into focus an important difference of opinion"
- a central point or locus of an infection in an organism; "the focus of infection"
Synonyms: focal point nidus
- special emphasis attached to something; "the stress was more on accuracy than on speed"
- a point of convergence of light (or other radiation) or a point from which it diverges
Synonyms: focal point
- a fixed reference point on the concave side of a conic section
- direct one's attention on something; "Please focus on your studies and not on your hobbies"
Synonyms: concentrate center centre pore rivet
- cause to converge on or toward a central point; "Focus the light on this image"
- bring into focus or alignment; to converge or cause to converge; of ideas or emotions
Synonyms: concenter concentre focalize focalise
- become focussed or come into focus; "The light focused"
Synonyms: focalize focalise
Antonyms: blur dim slur
- put (an image) into focus; "Please focus the image; we cannot enjoy the movie"
Synonyms: focalize focalise sharpen
Antonyms: blur blear