Definition of 'forge'
- furnace consisting of a special hearth where metal is heated before shaping
- a workplace where metal is worked by heating and hammering
- create by hammering; "hammer the silver into a bowl"; "forge a pair of tongues"
- make a copy of with the intent to deceive; "he faked the signature"; "they counterfeited dollar bills"; "She forged a Green Card"
Synonyms: fake counterfeit
- come up with (an idea, plan, explanation, theory, or principle) after a mental effort; "excogitate a way to measure the speed of light"
Synonyms: invent contrive devise excogitate formulate
- move ahead steadily; "He forged ahead"
- move or act with a sudden increase in speed or energy
Synonyms: spurt spirt
- make something, usually for a specific function; "She molded the rice balls carefully"; "Form cylinders from the dough"; "shape a figure"; "Work the metal into a sword"
Synonyms: shape form work mold mould
- make out of components (often in an improvising manner); "She fashioned a tent out of a sheet and a few sticks"