Definition of 'formal'
- a lavish dance requiring formal attire
- a gown for evening wear
Synonyms: dinner dress dinner gown evening gown
- being in accord with established forms and conventions and requirements (as e.g. of formal dress); "pay one's formal respects"; "formal dress"; "a formal ball"; "the requirement was only formal and often ignored"; "a formal education"
- characteristic of or befitting a person in authority; "formal duties"; "an official banquet"
- (of spoken and written language) adhering to traditional standards of correctness and without casual, contracted, and colloquial forms; "the paper was written in formal English"
- represented in simplified or symbolic form
Synonyms: conventional schematic
- logically deductive; "formal proof"
- refined or imposing in manner or appearance; befitting a royal court; "a courtly gentleman"
Synonyms: courtly stately