Definition of 'forward'
- the person who plays the position of forward on a basketball team
- a position on a basketball team
- send or ship onward from an intermediate post or station in transit; "forward my mail"
Synonyms: send on
- at or near or directed toward the front; "the forward section of the aircraft"; "a forward plunge down the stairs"; "forward motion"
- moving toward a position ahead; "forward motion"; "the onward course of events"
- used of temperament or behavior; lacking restraint or modesty; "a forward child badly in need of discipline"
- of the transmission gear causing forward movement in a motor vehicle; "in a forward gear"
- moving forward
Synonyms: advancing forward-moving
- at or to or toward the front; "he faced forward"; "step forward"; "she practiced sewing backward as well as frontward on her new sewing machine"; (`forrad' and `forrard' are dialectal variations)
Synonyms: forwards frontward frontwards forrad forrard
Antonyms: back backward backwards rearward rearwards
- forward in time or order or degree; "from that time forth"; "from the sixth century onward"
Synonyms: forth onward
- toward the future; forward in time; "I like to look ahead in imagination to what the future may bring"; "I look forward to seeing you"
Antonyms: back backward back backward
- in a forward direction; "go ahead"; "the train moved ahead slowly"; "the boat lurched ahead"; "moved onward into the forest"; "they went slowly forward in the mud"
Synonyms: ahead onward onwards forwards forrader
- near or toward the bow of a ship or cockpit of a plane; "the captain went fore (or forward) to check the instruments"
Antonyms: aft abaft astern