Definition of 'function'
- a mathematical relation such that each element of one set is associated with at least one element of another set
Synonyms: mathematical function
- what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
Synonyms: purpose role use
- the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
Synonyms: office part role
- a relation such that one thing is dependent on another; "height is a function of age"; "price is a function of supply and demand"
- a formal or official social gathering or ceremony; "it was a black-tie function"
- a vaguely specified social event; "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
Synonyms: affair occasion social occasion social function
- a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
Synonyms: routine subroutine subprogram procedure
- perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
Synonyms: work operate go run
Antonyms: malfunction misfunction
- serve a purpose, role, or function; "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
- perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function; "His wife officiated as his private secretary"