Definition of 'game'
- a single play of a sport or other contest; "the game lasted two hours"
- a contest with rules to determine a winner; "you need four people to play this game"
- an amusement or pastime; "they played word games"; "he thought of his painting as a game that filled his empty time"; "his life was all fun and games"
- animal hunted for food or sport
- the game equipment needed in order to play a particular game; "the child received several games for his birthday"
- your occupation or line of work; "he's in the plumbing game"; "she's in show biz"
- (games) the score at a particular point or the score needed to win; "the game is 6 all"; "he is serving for the game"
- the flesh of wild animals that is used for food
- a secret scheme to do something (especially something underhand or illegal); "they concocted a plot to discredit the governor"; "I saw through his little game from the start"
Synonyms: plot secret plan
- frivolous or trifling behavior; "for actors, memorizing lines is no game"; "for him, life is all fun and games"
- place a bet on; "Which horse are you backing?"; "I'm betting on the new horse"
Synonyms: bet on back gage stake punt
- disabled in the feet or legs; "a crippled soldier"; "a game leg"
Synonyms: crippled halt halting lame gimpy
- willing to face danger
Synonyms: gamy gamey gritty mettlesome spirited spunky