Definition of 'grapple'
- a tool consisting of several hooks for grasping and holding; often thrown with a rope
Synonyms: grapnel grappler grappling hook grappling iron
- a dredging bucket with hinges like the shell of a clam
- the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat; "they had a fierce wrestle"; "we watched his grappling and wrestling with the bully"
Synonyms: wrestle wrestling grappling hand-to-hand struggle
- come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
Synonyms: cope get by make out make do contend deal manage
- to grip or seize, as in a wrestling match; "the two men grappled with each other for several minutes"