Definition of 'grate'
- a frame of iron bars to hold a fire
- a harsh rasping sound made by scraping something
- a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air
- furnish with a grate; "a grated fireplace"
- gnaw into; make resentful or angry; "The injustice rankled her"; "his resentment festered"
Synonyms: eat into fret rankle
- reduce to small shreds or pulverize by rubbing against a rough or sharp perforated surface; "grate carrots and onions"; "grate nutmeg"
- make a grating or grinding sound by rubbing together; "grate one's teeth in anger"
- scratch repeatedly; "The cat scraped at the armchair"