Definition of 'great'
- a person who has achieved distinction and honor in some field; "he is one of the greats of American music"
- relatively large in size or number or extent; larger than others of its kind; "a great juicy steak"; "a great multitude"; "the great auk"; "a great old oak"; "a great ocean liner"; "a great delay"
- of major significance or importance; "a great work of art"; "Einstein was one of the outstanding figures of the 20th centurey"
- remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect; "a great crisis"; "had a great stake in the outcome"
- very good; "he did a bully job"; "a neat sports car"; "had a great time at the party"; "you look simply smashing"
Synonyms: bang-up bully corking cracking dandy groovy keen neat nifty not bad peachy slap-up swell smashing
- uppercase; "capital A"; "great A"; "many medieval manuscripts are in majuscule script"
Synonyms: capital majuscule
- marked by active interest and enthusiasm; "an avid sports fan"; "a great walker"; "an eager beaver"
Synonyms: avid eager zealous
- in an advanced stage of pregnancy; "was big with child"; "was great with child"
Synonyms: big enceinte expectant gravid large heavy with child