Definition of 'grey'
- United States writer of western adventure novels (1875-1939)
Synonyms: Zane Grey
- Queen of England for nine days in 1553; she was quickly replaced by Mary Tudor and beheaded for treason (1537-1554)
Synonyms: Lady Jane Grey
- Englishman who as Prime Minister implemented social reforms including the abolition of slavery throughout the British Empire (1764-1845)
Synonyms: Charles Grey Second Earl Grey
- any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are grey; "the Confederate army was a vast grey"
- a neutral achromatic color midway between white and black
Synonyms: gray grayness greyness
- clothing that is a grey color; "he was dressed in grey"
- horse of a light gray or whitish color
- make grey; "The painter decided to grey the sky"
- turn grey; "Her hair began to grey"
- of an achromatic color of any lightness intermediate between the extremes of white and black; "the little grey cells"; "gray flannel suit"; "a man with greyish hair"
Synonyms: gray greyish grayish
- showing characteristics of age, especially having grey or white hair; "whose beard with age is hoar"-Coleridge; "nodded his hoary head"
Synonyms: gray grey-haired gray-haired grey-headed gray-headed grizzly hoar hoary white-haired
- used to signify the Confederate forces in the American Civil War (who wore grey uniforms); "a stalwart grey figure"
- intermediate in character or position; "a grey area between clearly legal and strictly illegal"
- darkened with overcast; "a dark day"; "a dull sky"; "a grey rainy afternoon"; "grey clouds"; "the sky was leaden and thick"
Synonyms: dull gray leaden