Definition of 'growth'
- (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level; "he proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
Synonyms: growing maturation development ontogeny ontogenesis
- a progression from simpler to more complex forms; "the growth of culture"
- a process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important; "the increase in unemployment"; "the growth of population"
Synonyms: increase increment
Antonyms: decrease decrement decrease decrement
- vegetation that has grown; "a growth of trees"; "the only growth was some salt grass"
- the gradual beginning or coming forth; "figurines presage the emergence of sculpture in Greece"
Synonyms: emergence outgrowth
- (pathology) an abnormal proliferation of tissue (as in a tumor)
- something grown or growing; "a growth of hair"