Definition of 'grumble'
- a loud low dull continuous noise; "they heard the rumbling of thunder"
Synonyms: rumble rumbling grumbling
- a complaint uttered in a low and indistinct tone
Synonyms: grumbling murmur murmuring mutter muttering
- show one's unhappiness or critical attitude; "He scolded about anything that he thought was wrong"; "We grumbled about the increased work load"
Synonyms: grouch scold
- make complaining remarks or noises under one's breath; "she grumbles when she feels overworked"
Synonyms: murmur mutter croak gnarl
- to utter or emit low dull rumbling sounds; "he grumbled a rude response"; "Stones grumbled down the cliff"
Synonyms: growl rumble
- make a low noise; "rumbling thunder"