Definition of 'guard'
You searched for guards
- a person who keeps watch over something or someone
- the person who plays that position on a football team; "the left guard was injured on the play"
- a device designed to prevent injury
Synonyms: safety safety device
- a posture of defence in boxing or fencing; "keep your guard up"
- the person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team
- a group of men who escort and protect some important person
- a precautionary measure warding off impending danger or damage or injury etc.; "he put an ice pack on the injury as a precaution"; "an insurance policy is a good safeguard"; "we let our guard down"
Synonyms: precaution safeguard
- the duty of serving as a sentry; "he was on guard that night"
Synonyms: guard duty sentry duty sentry go
- a position on the line of scrimmage; "guards must be good blockers"
- a position on a basketball team
- to keep watch over; "there would be men guarding the horses"
- watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect; "guard my possessions while I'm away"
- protect against a challenge or attack; "Hold that position behind the trees!"; "Hold the bridge against the enemy's attacks"
Synonyms: defend hold
- take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence; "guard against becoming too friendly with the staff"; "guard against infection"