Definition of 'gum'
- a preparation (usually made of sweetened chicle) for chewing
Synonyms: chewing gum
- the tissue (covered by mucous membrane) of the jaws that surrounds the bases of the teeth
- any of various substances (soluble in water) that exude from certain plants; they are gelatinous when moist but harden on drying
- cement consisting of a sticky substance that is used as an adhesive
Synonyms: glue mucilage
- wood or lumber from any of various gum trees especially the sweet gum
- any of various trees of the genera Eucalyptus or Liquidambar or Nyssa that are sources of gum
Synonyms: gum tree
- cover, fill, fix or smear with or as if with gum; "if you gum the tape it is stronger"
- grind with the gums; chew without teeth and with great difficulty; "the old man had no teeth left and mumbled his food"
- become sticky
- exude or form gum; "these trees gum in the Spring"