Definition of 'halcyon'
- (Greek mythology) a woman who was turned into a kingfisher
- a large kingfisher widely distributed in warmer parts of the Old World
Synonyms: genus Halcyon
- a mythical bird said to breed at the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea and to have the power of calming the winds and waves
- idyllically calm and peaceful; suggesting happy tranquillity; "a halcyon atmosphere"
- marked by peace and prosperity; "a golden era"; "the halcyon days of the clipper trade"
Synonyms: golden prosperous