Definition of 'halt'
- the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
Synonyms: arrest check hitch stay stop stoppage
- the event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- an interruption or temporary suspension of progress or movement; "a halt in the arms race"; "a nuclear freeze"
- cause to stop; "Halt the engines"; "Arrest the progress"; "halt the presses"
Synonyms: hold arrest
- come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
Antonyms: start go get going
- stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
Synonyms: stop block kibosh
- stop the flow of a liquid; "staunch the blood flow"; "them the tide"
Synonyms: stem stanch staunch
- disabled in the feet or legs; "a crippled soldier"; "a game leg"
Synonyms: crippled halting lame gimpy game