Definition of 'hand'
You searched for handing
- the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb; "he had the hands of a surgeon"; "he extended his mitt"
Synonyms: manus mitt paw
- a hired laborer on a farm or ranch; "the hired hand fixed the railing"; "a ranch hand"
Synonyms: hired hand hired man
- something written by hand; "she recognized his handwriting"; "his hand was illegible"
Synonyms: handwriting script
- ability; "he wanted to try his hand at singing"
- a position given by its location to the side of an object; "objections were voiced on every hand"
- the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time; "I didn't hold a good hand all evening"; "he kept trying to see my hand"
- one of two sides of an issue; "on the one hand..., but on the other hand..."
- a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece; "the big hand counts the minutes"
- a unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses; "the horse stood 20 hands"
- a member of the crew of a ship; "all hands on deck"
- a card player in a game of bridge; "we need a 4th hand for bridge"
Synonyms: bridge player
- a round of applause to signify approval; "give the little lady a great big hand"
- terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos); "the kangaroo's forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"- Springfield (Mass.) Union
- physical assistance; "give me a hand with the chores"
Synonyms: helping hand
- place into the hands or custody of; "hand me the spoon, please"; "Turn the files over to me, please"; "He turned over the prisoner to his lawyers"
Synonyms: pass reach pass on turn over give
- guide or conduct or usher somewhere; "hand the elderly lady into the taxi"