Definition of 'hatch'
- the production of young from an egg
- shading consisting of multiple crossing lines
Synonyms: hatching crosshatch hachure
- a movable barrier covering a hatchway
- emerge from the eggs; "young birds, fish, and reptiles hatch"
- devise or invent; "He thought up a plan to get rich quickly"; "no-one had ever thought of such a clever piece of software"
Synonyms: think up think of dream up concoct
- inlay with narrow strips or lines of a different substance such as gold or silver, for the purpose of decorating
- draw, cut, or engrave lines, usually parallel, on metal, wood, or paper; "hatch the sheet"
- sit on (eggs); "Birds brood"; "The female covers the eggs"
Synonyms: brood cover incubate