Definition of 'heart'
- the locus of feelings and intuitions; "in your heart you know it is true"; "her story would melt your bosom"
- the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions move the blood through the body; "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly"
Synonyms: pump ticker
- the courage to carry on; "he kept fighting on pure spunk"; "you haven't got the heart for baseball"
Synonyms: mettle nerve spunk
- an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
Synonyms: center centre middle eye
- the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
Synonyms: kernel substance core center essence gist heart and soul inwardness marrow meat nub pith sum nitty-gritty
- an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
- a plane figure with rounded sides curving inward at the top and intersecting at the bottom; conventionally used on playing cards and valentines; "he drew a heart and called it a valentine"
- a firm rather dry variety meat (usually beef or veal); "a five-pound beef heart will serve six"
- a positive feeling of liking; "he had trouble expressing the affection he felt"; "the child won everyone's heart"; "the warmness of his welcome made us feel right at home"
Synonyms: affection affectionateness fondness tenderness warmness warmheartedness philia
- a playing card in the major suit that has one or more red hearts on it; "he led the queen of hearts"; "hearts were trumps"