Definition of 'heave'
You searched for heaved
- an upward movement (especially a rhythmical rising and falling); "the heaving of waves on a rough sea"
- (geology) a horizontal dislocation
- the act of lifting something with great effort
- an involuntary spasm of ineffectual vomiting; "a bad case of the heaves"
- the act of raising something; "he responded with a lift of his eyebrow"; "fireman learn several different raises for getting ladders up"
Synonyms: lift raise
- throwing something heavy (with great effort); "he gave it a mighty heave"; "he was not good at heaving passes"
- utter a sound, as with obvious effort; "She heaved a deep sigh when she saw the list of things to do"
- throw with great effort
- rise and move, as in waves or billows; "The army surged forward"
Synonyms: billow surge
- lift or elevate
Synonyms: heave up heft heft up
- move or cause to move in a specified way, direction, or position; "The vessel hove into sight"
- breathe noisily, as when one is exhausted; "The runners reached the finish line, panting heavily"
Synonyms: pant puff gasp
- bend out of shape, as under pressure or from heat; "The highway buckled during the heat wave"
Synonyms: buckle warp
- make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit
Synonyms: gag retch