Definition of 'hedge'
- a fence formed by a row of closely planted shrubs or bushes
- any technique designed to reduce or eliminate financial risk; for example, taking two positions that will offset each other if prices change
- an intentionally noncommittal or ambiguous statement; "when you say `maybe' you are just hedging"
- avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
Synonyms: fudge evade put off circumvent parry elude skirt dodge duck sidestep
- hinder or restrict with or as if with a hedge; "The animals were hedged in"
- enclose or bound in with or as it with a hedge or hedges; "hedge the property"
Synonyms: hedge in
- minimize loss or risk; "diversify your financial portfolio to hedge price risks"; "hedge your bets"