Definition of 'hell'
- any place of pain and turmoil; "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits";
Synonyms: hell on earth hellhole snake pit the pits inferno
- a cause of difficulty and suffering; "war is hell"; "go to blazes"
- (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"
Synonyms: perdition Inferno infernal region nether region pit
- (religion) the world of the dead; "he didn't want to go to hell when he died"
Synonyms: Hel Hades infernal region netherworld Scheol underworld
- violent and excited activity; "they began to fight like sin"
- noisy and unrestrained mischief; "raising blazes"