Definition of 'heroic'
- a verse form suited to the treatment of heroic or elevated themes; dactylic hexameter or iambic pentameter
Synonyms: heroic verse heroic meter
- very imposing or impressive; surpassing the ordinary (especially in size or scale); "an epic voyage"; "of heroic proportions"; "heroic sculpture"
Synonyms: epic larger-than-life
- relating to or characteristic of heroes of antiquity; "heroic legends"; "the heroic age"
- having or displaying qualities appropriate for heroes; "the heroic attack on the beaches of Normandy"; "heroic explorers"
- of behavior that is impressive and ambitious in scale or scope; "an expansive lifestyle"; "in the grand manner"; "collecting on a grand scale"; "heroic undertakings"
Synonyms: expansive grand
- showing extreme courage; especially of actions courageously undertaken in desperation as a last resort; "made a last desperate attempt to reach the climber"; "the desperate gallantry of our naval task forces marked the turning point in the Pacific war"- G.C.Marshall; "they took heroic measures to save his life"