Definition of 'hitch'
- a period of time spent in military service
Synonyms: enlistment term of enlistment tour of duty duty tour tour
- the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
Synonyms: arrest check halt stay stop stoppage
- an unforeseen obstacle
Synonyms: hang-up rub snag
- a connection between a vehicle and the load that it pulls
- a knot that can be undone by pulling against the strain that holds it
- any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
Synonyms: hindrance hinderance preventive preventative encumbrance incumbrance interference
- the uneven manner of walking that results from an injured leg
Synonyms: hobble limp
- to hook or entangle; "One foot caught in the stirrup"
- walk impeded by some physical limitation or injury; "The old woman hobbles down to the store every day"
Synonyms: limp gimp hobble
- jump vertically, with legs stiff and back arched; "the yung filly bucked"
Synonyms: buck jerk
- travel by getting free rides from motorists
Synonyms: hitchhike thumb
- connect to a vehicle: "hitch the trailer to the car"