Definition of 'hold back'
- hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
Synonyms: check turn back arrest stop contain
- keep under control; keep in check; "suppress a smile"; "Keep your temper"; "keep your cool"
Synonyms: restrain suppress keep keep back
- refrain from doing; "she forbore a snicker"
- wait before acting; "the scientists held off announcing their results until they repeated the experiment"
Synonyms: wait hold off
- secure and keep for possible future use or application; "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
Synonyms: retain hold keep back
- hold back; keep from being perceived by others; "She conceals her anger well"
Synonyms: conceal hold in