Definition of 'hold out'
- thrust or extend out; "He held out his hand"; "point a finger"; "extend a hand"; "the bee exserted its sting"
Synonyms: exsert stretch out put out extend stretch forth
- stand up or offer resistance to somebody or something
Synonyms: resist withstand stand firm
Antonyms: surrender give up
- last and be usable; "This dress wore well for almost ten years"
Synonyms: wear endure
- wait uncompromisingly for something desirable; "He held out for the dessert and did not touch the cheeses"
- continue to live; endure or last; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
Synonyms: survive last live live on go endure hold up