Definition of 'hold up'
- be the physical support of; carry the weight of; "The beam holds up the roof"; "He supported me with one hand while I balanced on the beam"; "What's holding that mirror?"
Synonyms: hold support sustain
- hold up something as an example; hold up one's achievements for admiration
- cause to be slowed down or delayed; "Traffic was delayed by the bad weather"; "she delayed the work that she didn't want to perform"
Synonyms: delay detain
Antonyms: rush hurry
- rob at gunpoint or by means of some other threat
Synonyms: stick up
- continue to live; endure or last; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
Synonyms: survive last live live on go endure hold out
- resist or confront with resistance; "The politician defied public opinion"; "The new material withstands even the greatest wear and tear"; "The bridge held"
Synonyms: defy withstand hold
- resist or withstand wear, criticism, etc.; "Her shoes won't hold up"; "This theory won't hold water"
Synonyms: stand up hold water