Definition of 'hope'
- a specific instance of feeling hopeful; "it revived their hope of winning the pennant"
- the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope"
- grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
- someone (or something) on which expectations are centered; "he was their best hope for a victory"
- United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (1903-2003)
Synonyms: Bob Hope Leslie Townes Hope
- one of the three Christian virtues
- expect and wish; "I trust you will behave better from now on"; "I hope she understands that she cannot expect a raise"
Synonyms: trust desire
- be optimistic; be full of hope; have hopes; "I am still hoping that all will turn out well"
- intend with some possibility of fulfilment; "I hope to have finished this work by tomorrow evening"
Synonyms: go for