Definition of 'influence'
- a power to affect persons or events especially power based on prestige etc; "used her parents' influence to get the job"
- causing something without any direct or apparent effort
- a cognitive factor that tends to have an effect on what you do; "her wishes had a great influence on his thinking"
- the effect of one thing (or person) on another; "the influence of mechanical action"
- one having power to influence another; "she was the most important influence in my life"; "he was a bad influence on the children"
- have and exert influence or effect; "The artist's work influenced the young painter"; "She worked on her friends to support the political candidate"
Synonyms: act upon work
- shape or influence; give direction to; "experience often determines ability"; "mold public opinion"
Synonyms: determine shape mold regulate
- induce into action by using one's charm; "She charmed him into giving her all his money"
Synonyms: charm tempt