Definition of 'last'
- the temporal end; the concluding time; "the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell"; "the market was up at the finish"; "they were playing better at the close of the season"
Synonyms: stopping point finale finis finish conclusion close
- the last or lowest in an ordering or series; "he was the last to leave"; "he finished an inglorious last"
- a person's dying act; the final thing a person can do; "he breathed his last"
- the time at which life ends; continuing until dead; "she stayed until his death"; "a struggle to the last"
- a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
- a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
- the concluding parts of an event or occurrence; "the end was exciting"; "I had to miss the last of the movie"
Synonyms: end final stage
- holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
Synonyms: shoemaker's last cobbler's last
- persist for a specified period of time; "The bad weather lasted for three days"
- continue to live; endure or last; "We went without water and food for 3 days"; "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America"; "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents"; "how long can a person last without food and water?"
Synonyms: survive live live on go endure hold up hold out
- immediately past; "last Thursday"; "the last chapter we read"
- coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining; "the last time I saw Paris"; "the last day of the month"; "had the last word"; "waited until the last minute"; "he raised his voice in a last supreme call"; "the last game of the season"; "down to his last nickel"
Antonyms: intermediate first
- occurring at or forming an end or termination; "his concluding words came as a surprise"; "the final chapter"; "the last days of the dinosaurs"; "terminal leave"
Synonyms: concluding final terminal
- conclusive in a process or progression; "the final answer"; "a last resort"; "the net result"
Synonyms: final net
- most unlikely or unsuitable; "the last person we would have suspected"; "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
- occurring at the time of death; "his last words"; "the last rites"
- not to be altered or undone; "the judge's decision is final"; "the arbiter will have the last say"
- lowest in rank or importance; "last prize"; "in last place"
Synonyms: last-place lowest
- highest in extent or degree; "to the last measure of human endurance"; "whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"
- more recently than any other time; "I saw him last in London"
Synonyms: most recently
- the item at the end; "last, I'll discuss family values"
Synonyms: lastly in conclusion finally