Definition of 'lean'
- the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical; "the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right"
Synonyms: tilt list inclination leaning
- to incline or bend from a vertical position; "She leaned over the banister"
Synonyms: tilt tip slant angle
- cause to lean or incline; "He leaned his rifle against the wall"
- have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined; "She tends to be nervous before her lectures"; "These dresses run small"; "He inclined to corpulence"
Synonyms: tend be given incline run
- rely on for support; "We can lean on this man"
- cause to lean to the side; "Erosion listed the old tree"
- lacking excess flesh; "you can't be too rich or too thin"; "Yon Cassius has a lean and hungry look"-Shakespeare
- lacking in mineral content or combustible material; "lean ore"; "lean fuel"
- containing little excess; "a lean budget"; "a skimpy allowance"
- not profitable or prosperous; "a lean year"