Definition of 'lick'
- a salt deposit that animals regularly lick
Synonyms: salt lick
- touching with the tongue; "the dog's laps were warm and wet"
- (boxing) a blow with the fist; "I gave him a clout on his nose"
Synonyms: punch clout poke biff
- beat thoroughly and conclusively in a competition or fight; "We licked the other team on Sunday!"
Synonyms: cream bat clobber drub thrash
- pass the tongue over; "the dog licked her hand"
- find the solution to (a problem or question) or understand the meaning of; "did you solve the problem?"; "Work out your problems with the boss"; "this unpleasant situation isn't going to work itself out"; "did you get it?"; "Did you get my meaning?"; "He could not work the math problem"
Synonyms: solve work out figure out puzzle out work
- take up with the tongue; "The cat lapped up the milk"; "the cub licked the milk from its mother's breast"
Synonyms: lap lap up