Definition of 'lodge'
- English physicist who studied electromagnetic radiation and was a pioneer of radiotelegraphy (1851-1940)
Synonyms: Sir Oliver Lodge Sir Oliver Joseph Lodge
- a formal association of people with similar interests; "he joined a golf club"; "they formed a small lunch society"; "men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today"
Synonyms: club social club society guild gild order
- small house at the entrance to the grounds of a country mansion; usually occupied by a gatekeeper or gardener
- a small (rustic) house used as a temporary shelter
Synonyms: hunting lodge
- any of various native American dwellings
Synonyms: indian lodge
- a hotel providing overnight lodging for travelers
Synonyms: hostel hostelry inn auberge
- be a lodger; stay temporarily; "Where are you lodging in Paris?"
- fix, force, or implant; "lodge a bullet in the table"
Synonyms: wedge stick deposit
Antonyms: dislodge free
- file a formal charge against; "The suspect was charged with murdering his wife"
Synonyms: charge file
- provide housing for; "We are lodging three foreign students this semester"