Definition of 'look'
- the feelings expressed on a person's face; "a sad expression"; "a look of triumph"; "an angry face"
Synonyms: expression aspect facial expression face
- the act of directing the eyes toward something and perceiving it visually; "he went out to have a look"; "his look was fixed on her eyes"; "he gave it a good looking at"; "his camera does his looking for him"
Synonyms: looking looking at
- physical appearance; "I don't like the looks of this place"
- the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
Synonyms: spirit tone feel feeling flavor flavour smell
- perceive with attention; direct one's gaze towards; "She looked over the expanse of land"; "Look at your child!"; "Look--a deer in the backyard!"
- give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect; "She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
Synonyms: appear seem
- have a certain outward or facial expression; "How does she look?"; "The child looks unhappy"; "She looked pale after the surgery"
- search or seek; "We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"; "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
- be oriented in a certain direction, often with respect to another reference point; be opposite to; "The house looks north"; "My backyard look onto the pond"; "The building faces the park"
Synonyms: front face
- take charge of or deal with; "Could you see about lunch?"; "I must attend to this matter"; "She took care of this business"
Synonyms: attend take care see
- convey by one's expression; "She looked her devotion to me"
- look forward to the probable occurrence of; "We were expecting a visit from our relatives"; "She is looking to a promotion"; "he is waiting to be drafted"
Synonyms: expect await wait
- accord in appearance with; "You don't look your age!"
- have faith or confidence in; "you can count on me to help you any time"; "Look to your friends for support"; "You can bet on that!"; "Depend on your family in times of crisis"
Synonyms: count bet depend calculate reckon