Definition of 'make'
- a recognizable kind; "there's a new brand of hero in the movies now"; "what make of car is that?"
- the act of mixing cards haphazardly
Synonyms: shuffle shuffling
- engage in; "make love, not war"; "make an effort"; "do research"; "do nothing"; "make revolution"
- give certain properties to something; "get someone mad"; "She made us look silly"; "He made a fool of himself at the meeting"; "Don't make this into a big deal"; "This invention will make you a millionaire"; "Make yourself clear"
- make or cause to be or to become; "make a mess in one's office"; "create a furor"
- cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner; "The ads induced me to buy a VCR"; "My children finally got me to buy a computer"; "My wife made me buy a new sofa"
Synonyms: induce stimulate cause have get
- give rise to; cause to happen or occur, not always intentionally; "cause a commotion"; "make a stir"; "cause an accident"
Synonyms: cause do
- create or manufacture a man-made product; "We produce more cars than we can sell"; "The company has been making toys for two centuries"
Synonyms: produce create
- make, formulate, or derive in the mind; "I draw a line here"; "draw a conclusion"; "draw parallels"; "make an estimate"; "What do you make of his remarks?"
- compel or make somebody or something to act in a certain way; "People cannot be made to integrate just by passing a law!"; "Heat makes you sweat"
- create by artistic means; "create a poem"; "Schoenberg created twelve-tone music"; "Picasso created Cubism"; "Auden made verses"
- earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages; "How much do you make a month in your new job?"; "She earns a lot in her new job"; "this merger brought in lots of money"; "He clears $5,000 each month"
Synonyms: gain take in clear earn realize realise pull in bring in
- create or design, often in a certain way; "Do my room in blue"; "I did this piece in wood to express my love for the forest"
Antonyms: unmake undo
- to compose or represent:"This wall forms the background of the stage setting"; "The branches made a roof"; "This makes a fine introduction"
Synonyms: form constitute
- reach a goal, e.g., "make the first team"; "We made it!"; "She may not make the grade"
Synonyms: reach get to progress to
- be or be capable of being changed or made into; "He makes a great host"; "He will make a fine father"
- make by shaping or bringing together constituents; "make a dress"; "make a cake"; "make a wall of stones"
- perform or carry out; "make a decision"; "make a move"; "make advances"; "make a phone call"
- make by combining materials and parts; "this little pig made his house out of straw"; "Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
Synonyms: construct build
- change from one form into another; "make water into wine"; "make lead into gold"; "make clay into bricks"
- act in a certain way so as to acquire; "make friends"; "make enemies"
- charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
Synonyms: name nominate
- achieve a point or goal; "Nicklaus had a 70"; "The Brazilian team got 4 goals"; "She made 29 points that day"
Synonyms: have get
- reach a destination, either real or abstract; "We hit Detroit by noon"; "The water reached the doorstep"; "We barely made it to the finish line"; "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
Synonyms: reach attain hit arrive at gain
- institute, enact, or establish; "make laws"
Synonyms: lay down establish
- carry out or commit; "make a mistake"; "commit a faux-pas"
- add up to; "four and four make eight"
- form by assembling individuals or constituents; "Make a quorum"
- organize or be responsible for; "hold a reception"; "have, throw, or make a party"; "give a course"
Synonyms: hold throw have give
- prepare for eating by applying heat; "Cook me dinner, please"; "can you make me an omelette?"; "fix breakfast for the guests, please"
Synonyms: cook fix ready prepare
- put in order or neaten; "make the bed"; "make up a room"
Synonyms: make up
- head into a specified direction; "The escaped convict took to the hills"; "We made for the mountains"
- have a bowel movement; "The dog had made in the flower beds"
Synonyms: stool defecate ca-ca crap
- undergo fabrication or creation; "This wool makes into a nice sweater"
- be suitable for; "Wood makes good furniture"
- amount to; "This salary increase makes no difference to my standard of living"
- constitute the essence of; "Clothes make the man"
- appear to begin an activity; "He made to speak but said nothing in the end"; "She made as if to say hello to us"
- proceed along a path; "work one's way through the crowd"; "make one's way into the forest"
- reach in time; "We barely made the plane"
- gather and light the materials for; "make a fire"
- induce to have sex; "Harry finally seduced Sally"; "Did you score last night?"; "Harry made Sally"
Synonyms: seduce score
- assure the success of; "A good review by this critic will make your play!"
- represent fictitiously, as in a play, or pretend to be or act like; "She makes like an actress"
Synonyms: pretend make believe
- consider as being; "It wasn't the problem some people made it"
- calculate as being; "I make the height about 100 feet"
- cause to be enjoyable or pleasurable; "make my day"
- favor the development of; "Practice makes the winner"
- develop into; "He will make a splendid father!"
- behave in a certain way; "make merry"
- eliminate urine; "Again, the cat had made on the expensive rug"
Synonyms: urinate piddle puddle micturate piss pee pee-pee make water relieve oneself take a leak spend a penny wee wee-wee pass water