Definition of 'make out'
- detect with the senses; "The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"; "I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
Synonyms: recognize recognise distinguish discern pick out tell apart
- make out and issue; "write out a check"; "cut a ticket"; "Please make the check out to me"
Synonyms: write out issue cut
- comprehend; "I cannot make out what this politician is saying"
- proceed or get along; "How is she doing in her new job?"; "How are you making out in graduate school?"; "He's come a long way"
Synonyms: do fare come get along
- come to terms or deal successfully with; "We got by on just a gallon of gas"; "They made do on half a loaf of bread every day"
Synonyms: cope get by make do contend grapple deal manage
- kiss, embrace, or fondle with sexual passion; "The couple were necking in the back seat of the car"
- write all the required information onto a form; "fill out this questionnaire, please!"; "make out a form"
Synonyms: complete fill out fill in
- imply or suggest; "Your remarks make me out to be stupid"
- try to establish; "She made out that she know nothing about the crime"