Definition of 'matter'
- that which has mass and occupies space; "an atom is the smallest indivisible unit of matter"
- a vaguely specified concern; "several matters to attend to"; "it is none of your affair"; "things are going well"
Synonyms: affair thing
- some situation or event that is thought about; "he kept drifting off the topic"; "he had been thinking about the subject for several years"; "it is a matter for the police"
Synonyms: topic subject issue
- a problem; "is anything the matter?"
- (used with negation) having consequence; "they were friends and it was no matter who won the games"
- written works (especially in books or magazines); "he always took some reading matter with him on the plane"
- have weight; have import, carry weight; "It does not matter much"
Synonyms: count weigh