Definition of 'melt'
- the process whereby heat changes something from a solid to a liquid; "the power failure caused a refrigerator melt that was a disaster"; "the thawing of a frozen turkey takes several hours"
Synonyms: thaw thawing melting
- reduce or cause to be reduced from a solid to a liquid state, usually by heating; "melt butter"; "melt down gold"; "The wax melted in the sun"
Synonyms: run melt down
- become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat"
Synonyms: dissolve thaw unfreeze unthaw dethaw
- become more relaxed, easygoing, or genial; "With age, he mellowed"
Synonyms: mellow mellow out
- lose its distinct outline or shape; blend gradually; "Hundreds of actors were melting into the scene"
- become less clearly visible or distinguishable; disappear gradually or seemingly; "The scene begins to fade"; "The tree trunks are melting into the forest at dusk"
- become less intense and fade away gradually; "her resistance melted under his charm"